PSMF Supplements - Do you include those calories in your macros?

Carey Mendez

Please help! Today is only Day 2 for me but already I’m struggling to meet my protein macros without going over on calories.... my supplements (fish oil) take a considerable amount of my calories— I do count them though, right?
I’m even trying to pre-plan tomorrow’s meals/macros to get this right.

Beth Johnson

Can you share with us what you’ve eaten today? It would help if we could give some recommendations on things to change/swap out.

Katie Wright

Egg whites. Since you have some carbohydrates. And me personally, I’d not count “net carbs” and instead, not count the fish oil. Carbohydrate that isn’t included in a net carb calculation has calories, just not 4 per gram. By being strict with carbohydrates and eliminating the counting of fish oil supplement, you open yourself up to more protein choices while staying at a good carbohydrate range

Carey Mendez

59352547_591476391333532_7041465089265762304_n.jpg

I just posted a picture of the fish oil I am using. Unless I am doing my math wrong, I think I’m supposed to take a total of 10 softgels to equal 1 g. In that case my calories come out to 200. I guess I might need to find a better fish oil source?

Heather43

Why are you taking 10? You need 1800mg of EPA and 1200 of DHA, so 6 would be enough to get your amount. That would drop your calories to 60, rather than 100.

Heather43

@Carey Mendez If 2 pills = 800 EPA and 600 DHA, each pill equals 400 EPA and 300 DHA. 5 x 400 = 2000 EPA and 5 x 300 = 1500 DHA, so you’re meeting your requirements with that.