Inability to lose weight even on this diet?

katie009

I am a 21 year old female who currently weighs 164 lbs. I started the Cleveland clinic PSMF diet a month ago. The Cleveland clinic version of the diet is 15 oz of protein and two servings of non-starch vegetables daily. I started strong, losing 8 pounds within the first week (which I understand is mostly water loss). Since then, I have continued my same routine that I had before the diet- lifting three days per week and cardio three days per week. I spend about an hour at the gym every day. After my first eight pounds of water loss, I have only lost eight pounds in a month even with all this exercise. I have had problems losing weight in the past (ie I work out nearly every day, eat minimal carbs and a healthy diet, still can’t lose). I was told by a nutritionist that this diet would surely help me lose and most people lose 2-5 lbs per week without exercise. They have checked all my horomones and they are all normal. What can I do? Has anyone else had this issue?

HeatherM

I am a 21 year old female who currently weighs 164 lbs. I started the Cleveland clinic PSMF diet a month ago. The Cleveland clinic version of the diet is 15 oz of protein and two servings of non-starch vegetables daily. I started strong, losing 8 pounds within the first week (which I understand is mostly water loss). Since then, I have continued my same routine that I had before the diet- lifting three days per week and cardio three days per week. I spend about an hour at the gym every day. After my first eight pounds of water loss, I have only lost eight pounds in a month even with all this exercise. I have had problems losing weight in the past (ie I work out nearly every day, eat minimal carbs and a healthy diet, still can’t lose). I was told by a nutritionist that this diet would surely help me lose and most people lose 2-5 lbs per week without exercise. They have checked all my horomones and they are all normal. What can I do? Has anyone else had this issue?
Hi Katie. I'm not familar with the Cleveland Clinic psmf routine. Maybe you should try to use the psmf calculator on the website for your macros? I have lost over 40+ pounds by using that calculator and reading Elizabeth's book.

Enyi

Maybe you are eating more than needed or maybe some days you could infused in OMAD and see how it goes. Sometimes our body get used to a routine and it becomes hard for a visible change,so the best bet is to mix things up a bit to have some changes to the system to see some changes again.Try once a day meal with your exercises for a change

jaybee19

This is a rare case tho. It's the first time I've heard about this and I'm not sure what to suggest because you've already consulted your nutritionist. However, I would like to ask if your sleeping habit is normal and if you're not over working your body in terms of exercise. I've actually heard about people who didn't lose weight because of lack of sleep and over fatigue. Although your hormones are normal, it might be that your body wants you to change something and I'm not sure about it tho because I haven't experienced this problem when I started my diet.

Martinsx

One thing that I have come to understand in this life is that no two persons are exactly the same thing and there is no guarantee that how something affected Mr. A is going to be the exact same way it's going to affect Mr. B. So, what I'm trying to say is that maybe your body needed a little more time before it can adjust to the routine you are following to lose weight. Please give it more time.

Good luck.

ion

There're so many diet programs out there, you should try each of them to know what best for you, well of course it's really hard to see the result immediately and you need months before noticing it, but just keep motivating your mind and body.

wallet

I have never heard anyone to not lose weight keeping the OMAD, anyway if this diet is not good for your body than you should try another diet that fits your organism.

Martinsx

I have never heard anyone to not lose weight keeping the OMAD, anyway if this diet is not good for your body than you should try another diet that fits your organism.
Just like I mentioned earlier, as we are different, so does things affect us in a different way. That the poster have experienced any weight loss after taking part in OMAD does not mean that it won't take effect. It's just taking too long for the person's body to react and adjust to the diet but I'm sure that it's definitely going to work.

jaymish

I'm no expert but I think you're working out too much. Remember on PSFM you are eating more protein then usual, so if you keep working out the way you are working out then you are gaining muscle, this maybe why it looks like you are not loosing that much weight. However I would advise you consult a doctor first. If I were you I would cut down the exercise and see if that makes a difference. Some diets like the slow carb which is a variation of this one recommend you only exercise for 30 minutes three time a week. So give it a try.

Anne18

I also don't know why it happens to you. In my case, after a month of diet I saw a result already. Well, maybe people are different from some cases. The routine your doing maybe is not enough for your body. Do some variation of diet routines.

Martinsx

I also don't know why it happens to you. In my case, after a month of diet I saw a result already. Well, maybe people are different from some cases. The routine your doing maybe is not enough for your body. Do some variation of diet routines.
Exactly. It's my point on why there wasn't any change in the individual after using OMAD for some time. Just like people with big bone mass, when one with tinny bone lose weight quickly, they seems to take longer to lose weight because of the their big bones.

DenisP

I was going to point out that you should probably get your thyroid checked out, but given that you said your hormones are all normal, that crosses that off the list of potential issues.

My next question would be, are you looking at the scale or at the mirror? You mentioned that you lift three days a week for an hour at the gym. To me that sounds like a pretty heavy strength training routine. I don't know if you're aware, but muscle weighs something like three times more than fat. It could very well be that due to your intensive routine, you're simply replacing the weight in lost fat with gained muscle.

Most people actually say that once you start a strength training routine, the scale becomes an unreliable way to measure loss in body fat.

katie009

I was going to point out that you should probably get your thyroid checked out, but given that you said your hormones are all normal, that crosses that off the list of potential issues.

My next question would be, are you looking at the scale or at the mirror? You mentioned that you lift three days a week for an hour at the gym. To me that sounds like a pretty heavy strength training routine. I don't know if you're aware, but muscle weighs something like three times more than fat. It could very well be that due to your intensive routine, you're simply replacing the weight in lost fat with gained muscle.

Most people actually say that once you start a strength training routine, the scale becomes an unreliable way to measure loss in body fat.
I have been lifting for six years, so I’m not sure how much strength I am gaining vs. maintaining at this point

katie009

This is a rare case tho. It's the first time I've heard about this and I'm not sure what to suggest because you've already consulted your nutritionist. However, I would like to ask if your sleeping habit is normal and if you're not over working your body in terms of exercise. I've actually heard about people who didn't lose weight because of lack of sleep and over fatigue. Although your hormones are normal, it might be that your body wants you to change something and I'm not sure about it tho because I haven't experienced this problem when I started my diet.
I have been sleeping 8-9 hours every night while on this diet

katie009

Exactly. It's my point on why there wasn't any change in the individual after using OMAD for some time. Just like people with big bone mass, when one with tinny bone lose weight quickly, they seems to take longer to lose weight because of the their big bones.
I would consider myself to have a small bone structure

Martinsx

I would consider myself to have a small bone structure
I see, alright then. If you have a lesser bone mass, then I don't think losing weight will be a difficult thing for you to do. What do you weigh at the moment? And are you planning on losing weight or adding a little bit? At the moment, I weigh 85kg and I'm working on coming down to either 70kg or 75kg.

Henrywrites

I'm no expert but I think you're working out too much. Remember on PSFM you are eating more protein then usual, so if you keep working out the way you are working out then you are gaining muscle, this maybe why it looks like you are not loosing that much weight. However I would advise you consult a doctor first. If I were you I would cut down the exercise and see if that makes a difference. Some diets like the slow carb which is a variation of this one recommend you only exercise for 30 minutes three time a week. So give it a try.
You've got a point on this as the time spent on working out might be the reason that she is not losing the weight as expected. You could get to lose when you understand that slowing down with the exercise and doing more of the diet is the best way to go.

katie009

I see, alright then. If you have a lesser bone mass, then I don't think losing weight will be a difficult thing for you to do. What do you weigh at the moment? And are you planning on losing weight or adding a little bit? At the moment, I weigh 85kg and I'm working on coming down to either 70kg or 75kg.
I am finishing up the diet after this week. I am now 160 lbs after six weeks on PSMF. I started at 180. I was hoping to reach 140, but it doesn’t seem possible.

Henrywrites

I am finishing up the diet after this week. I am now 160 lbs after six weeks on PSMF. I started at 180. I was hoping to reach 140, but it doesn’t seem possible.
There is nothing that can't be achieved, if we focused on getting to that point where everything will work fine. I would suggest that you quit exercising and focus for few more weeks and see how good that it will be.